AGAINST the cellphone policy

Addy Huth

“Cell phones are more beneficial than they are detrimental to a learning environment.” I thoroughly support this statement, as many of my fellow students do. With the rise of this new rule at our institution, I would like to take the time to shed some light on the pros of cell phone use in schools. These pros include increasing responsibility in our students, having alternate learning resources, and the ability to prepare for the outside word, post secondary school.

While I believe that it is okay in some circumstances for teachers and staff to decide that cell phones are detrimental, I also believe that given the responsibility placed on BSS students, the rule is simply not necessary. We have been taught since we were first given access to cellphones that there is a time and place for them – and class is not one of them. However, I do not agree that the hallways, library, and lunchrooms are inappropriate places for cell phones. They are a place of social interaction amongst friends, a place to talk to your friends about what you did on the weekend and show them pictures from an event. Quite honestly, I believe that adults often over-react to the amount of time a girl spends on her cell phone. They perceive that we are stunting our cognitive development and limiting our relationships. However, in most cases we are promoting these factors. If girls are trusted to use their phones wisely at school, it will allow us to adapt to being responsible adults.

Although it is disrespectful to whip out a phone and start texting in the middle of class, it can be beneficial to use a cell phone as an alternate learning resource in the classroom environment. Phones can offer aids to students that have difficulty grasping textbook concepts like in geometry or physics. There are apps that allow a student to read the angle of an object by pointing their phone camera at it. These diverse learning tools can be essential to students that are visual learners, or have dyslexia. Tech & Learning, a magazine and website that focuses on the use of technology in education, completed a study in which students revealed that “using mobile devices like tablets makes them want to learn more.” The study also stated that, “mobile technology can inspire and engage students by letting them lead their learning and supporting them in choosing and using the devices they know, love, and prefer.”

Finally, using a cell phone in class can be essential for preparing students for the future. Many technologically advanced workplaces have employees use their cell phones at their work. Doctors use them to page for emergencies, mechanics use them to order parts, stock brokers use them to connect with clients and buy and sell stocks, marketers use them to design advertisements and emails, and the list goes on. How can we ignore this vital part of our future lives? If anything this rule is putting us at a disadvantage for the future of our careers. Cell phones can be used to collaborate with others in class and are extremely eco-friendly. Therefore, cell phones are more beneficial than they are detrimental in a learning environment.