New 150th Sweaters

Graphic by Bronwen Lathrop

Graphic by Bronwen Lathrop

Samantha Leung

This year, as you may know, BSS is celebrating its 150th birthday. To celebrate this revolutionary event, the school has been making some temporary changes to the uniform for the 2016/2017 school year. At the beginning of the year, all BSS girls got new ties designed by a BSS student Megan Liu. Now, new 150th sweaters have been introduced which students will be allowed to wear throughout the rest of the year. Although many girls are super excited to go ahead and buy these sweaters, there are still some BSS girls that can’t help but ask, “will the teachers know that we’re allowed to wear them?” and, “is the money worth it if we are only allowed to wear the sweaters from December 2016 to June 2017?”

Throughout the school there are classrooms that, for some strange reason, are much colder than the rest, and we can’t help but feel like we need to wear something over our sailor suits to keep warm. There currently is not a sweatshirt that we’re allowed to wear over our uniform without a uniform infraction, so naturally, BSS girls are very excited about the prospect. Uniform infractions are one of the most common ways to get a detention. The rule for uniform infractions is if you get three uniform infractions, you get a detention. So it is amazing that we now have legal BSS sweaters for the 150th year that we can wear in class when we get cold.

There are some teachers that may not know the sweaters are okay to wear in class or in the halls. With so many different BSS items of clothing, sometimes it’s hard to tell which ones we can wear in our classes or which ones we cannot, such as each years’ non-item item or old BSS sweaters that perhaps might have once been a part of the uniform but no longer are.

Another question that BSS girls may be asking themselves is, “is it worth $70 just to wear it from December 2016 to June 2017?”. Since the new sweaters have just been released about a month ago, BSS girls would only be able to wear them from December 2016 to June 2017 and depending on weather, you would technically only be wearing the sweaters for the remainder of December, January, and March, since it becomes much warmer in March. For some BSS girls it may be worth it. Grade 9 student Samara Osten said, “I think it’s worth getting because it’s versatile. You can wear it in and outside of school.” Maybe if you’re also planning on wearing the sweater when the 150th celebration is over, just to show off you go to one of the best single sex schools in Ontario, it would definitely give you and your fellow peers outside of school something to talk about.

If you are planning on purchasing these sweaters they are only available for purchase online through the 150th merchandise website, with no refunds or exchanges. The Burgundy Boutique is also letting girls come in and try on sample sizes of sweaters, before ordering.